The client and challenge
Our customer, a leader in high-performance refrigeration units for the transportation industry, was developing a new line of cooling products for trailers that was intended to drive fuel savings and meet emerging emissions requirements. This product line was developed from a “blank slate,” according to the customer, and it needed to increase its engineering bandwidth in several areas to complete work and bring this product to market.
The EASi solution
EASi’s solution included an on-site team to support the development of the new product line. We supplemented our customer’s internal engineering group, including its quality and reliability teams and testing labs, to support multiple phases and aspects of product development. We also provided off-site design support from one of our U.S. delivery centers and completed drafting from our off-shore facility in India. Our scope of work included:
- Creating a concept and design for the engine support cradle
- FEA verification
- Developing a concept to attach the engine to the frame, ensuring it could support 500 pounds
- Mechanical and structural design of bracketry to attach the motor and generator
- Designing and validating the compressor flange housing
- Reviewing and redesigning coupler and clutch pin isolation
- Determining requirements of air induction, fuel and oil filtration; designing and validating requirements for each item
EASi supported this project for more than two years, peaking at as many as 10 resources that supported multiple facets of the development, design and testing.
Our customer successfully launched the new product line, which includes three models of reefers. According to our customer, this platform offers “double-digit fuel savings” and “meets the strictest requirements of emissions regulation.”
Lead Engineer – product development
Design Engineering – including testing and prototyping
Packaging Design – including Pro-E packaging, structures and castings